Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Reflection

The articles/ podcast I will reflect on are The Best Antidote to Bullying?, Our Endless Legal Debate About Campus Rape Misses the Central Problem, Mapping Meaning in a Digital Age, and The Inner Life of Rebellion.
The Best Antidote to Bullying? article made me think of bullying in a different way. I always thought of bullying as making new wounds not like pouring salt into existing ones. This article points out the importance of community in schools. It describes the strategies of bullies and how they target the "losers" who have no allies to improve their own status. The students who witness the act don't interfere because they don't want to be associated with the student who is being bullied. The article says that the best way to stop a bully is to take away their power by empowering bystanders to speak up and stop them. I think this is an interesting thought because a bully would not have any power with out the bystanders just like a actor wouldn't be famous without her fans.
The Our Endless Legal Debate About Campus Rape Misses the Central Problem article was not what I expected. I agree that rape on campus is outstandingly high. It seems to be almost every week that I get a notification on my phone about rape happening on campus. I also agree that it doesn't matter what the exact statistics are. What matters is stopping the rape on campus. I think there needs to be more ways that girls and boys alike can reach out and more classes to teach us how to protect ourselves and along side that we should be teaching men and women how wrong rape is and instilling moral values in them.
The Mapping Meaning in a Digital Age podcast was the next item I listened to. I agree that the internet is very powerful and it opens many doors for us. It helps us connect to people that we would never meet without it. I think we should learn from the generations before us as she says. They discuss the thoughts of new generations and about how everything has to be entertaining. I view this in the opposite way. I don't think people want everything to be entertaining I think things are made entertaining to capture our attention so that we buy it or watch it or allow it to take our time. In todays world everything is flashing and screaming but where I am happiest is not among these things but rather among nature while fishing or reading a book while sitting in the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment